Summer is finally almost here! While it’d be nice to lounge by the pool all day long, you’ve undoubtedly got some chores to do around the house. One of the most important tasks you have this summer is roof maintenance in New Bern, NC. Yearly maintenance helps guarantee that your roof will stand the test of time and look its best for as long as you live in your home. Keep reading to learn a few of the top roof maintenance items:
- Clean off dirt and debris: A clean roof is a happy roof! Now is the perfect time of year to get up on your roof and clean off any accumulated dirt, leaves or similar debris. Don’t forget to clear out your gutters, too. Clean gutters protect against damage to your roof, your landscaping and even your foundation.
- Remove mold: Make sure to get rid of any mold while you’re up there. Mold and mildew aren’t just unsightly—they can cause significant damage to your shingles if left untreated.
- Check skylights: This one obviously only applies to folks with skylights. If this is you, be sure to inspect the flashing around the light to ensure it’s airtight. Any broken or damaged flashing will surely lead to leaks during a midsummer rainstorm.
- Look for cracked shingles: How are those shingles looking? If they’re cracked, damaged or brittle, it could be time to call a professional to replace them. Damaged shingles mean a weaker roof, which means your whole home is in greater danger.
- Trim limbs: Any trees that surround your home should be trimmed as soon as possible. It doesn’t take much more than a strong gust of wind to blow a limb over that’ll cause some serious damage to your roof.
- Seal all entrances: Gaps between your home and your roof are a leading cause of creepy critters getting inside your attic. The best way to combat these pests is to seal all of the cracks with caulk. This task can be tedious, but it can be the difference between an infestation and a clean and secure home.
- Check old sealant: The caulk you used to seal up those critter entrances last year won’t last forever. In fact, there’s a good chance that it’ll start to fail during winter! Double check to make sure everything looks up to snuff.
- Take pictures: While you’re doing all of these tasks, be sure to have a camera or smart phone on you so that you can take some photos of anything that appears damaged. Having visual evidence of roof damage can be crucial if you need to file an insurance claim.
- Hire a professional: Ultimately, the number one tip we have for summer roof maintenance in New Bern, NC is to hire a pro to tackle the job. From cleaning to making repairs, a professional can do it all, so you don’t have to lift a finger.
When it comes to inspections and roof repairs in New Bern, NC, nobody beats Dallas Cherry Roofing. Pick up the phone today to schedule maintenance and ensure your roof is ready to handle summer weather!
This post was written by Writer