Your roof goes through a lot of wear and tear 365 days a year. However, the winter months pose some of the biggest threats to your roof. Now that it’s almost officially winter, it’s time to start thinking about the most common types of winter roof damage in New Bern, NC. Keep reading to learn all about winter damage, and about what we can do to help prevent or remedy that damage:
- Roof collapse: Wet and heavy snowfall is rarely anyone’s idea of a good time. It’s cold, uncomfortable and makes the roads incredibly slick. Perhaps the worst part about a ton of snowfall is the fact that it can even result in a roof collapse. If the weight of the snow on your roof exceeds your roof’s snow load rating, you could be looking at significant damage that could cause serious injuries. We recommend talking to one of our specialists and having your roof inspected to ensure that it’s capable of handling heavy snowfall this winter.
- Mold: Constant freezing and thawing of snow and ice throughout the winter poses an often unforeseen problem: mold growth. Moisture from thawed ice gets trapped under your shingles, which will eventually seep further and further down, and into your attic. Once the water becomes trapped in your attic, mold will start to grow. Mold growth reduces your home’s structural integrity and can be dangerous to your health. The best way to prevent this mold growth is to ensure that your attic has proper ventilation.
- Leaky flashing: Metal flashing surrounding skylights, chimneys and every other corner of your roof prevent water from seeping under your roof and causing the issues mentioned above. Unfortunately, these flashing materials aren’t impervious to roof damage in New Bern, NC, especially during harsh winter storms. When your flashing becomes damaged, you’ll most likely have to deal with a leak. Before winter weather sets in, call us to have your roof inspected to ensure all of your flashing material is as secure as possible.
- Gutter damage: Though they’re small, your gutters are an integral aspect of your roof. Improperly functioning gutters lead to leaks, roof damage and even foundation damage. For that reason, it’s crucial that you clean your gutters at least twice a year to ensure that they’re not clogged up. We recommend cleaning out all of the leaves from your gutters as soon as possible. If your gutters look dinged up or damaged, give us a call to make sure you don’t need any additional roof repairs in New Bern, NC.
- Broken or damaged shingles: Are all of your shingles intact? Let’s hope so! Any cracked or damaged shingles will lead to leaks, especially on warm days when the snow and ice on your roof melts. Your shingles can break during bad winter storms or from fallen branches. You might be able to see broken shingles from the ground, but it’s not a bad idea to call a pro to conduct a full roof inspection.
If your roof has sustained any damage, be sure to choose our pros at Dallas Cherry Roofing for all of your roof repairs in New Bern, NC. Call us today to learn more about all of our services, including repairs, new installation, inspections, cleaning and more!
This post was written by Writer