Roof repairs are one of the biggest expenses a homeowner can face. Repairing the roof can cost hundreds or (in serious cases) even thousands of dollars, while replacing it entirely is even more expensive. A shoddy job could leave you burdened with even more costly repairs in the future. That’s why it’s critical to hire a reputable and trustworthy contractor for the job. But finding the best roofing contractor in New Bern, NC can be tricky. Many are only interested in turning a profit, instead of providing high quality work.
Unfortunately, most contractors don’t show their true colors until after the work is already underway. Homeowners must ask the right questions ahead of time to separate the bad from the good. Here are six questions to ask a prospective roofer before repairs begin:
- Are you locally owned and operated? A warranty is only valuable if the company is still around to honor it. Question whether the roofing company has a local address before signing off on any work. Many contractors will swoop in from another state after a big storm to cash in on the high demand for roofing services. They’re never to be seen again after the work is completed, leaving the homeowner without any options if their workmanship fails.
- Do you have liability and worker’s compensation insurance? Are you prepared to pay thousands of dollars if something goes wrong during a roof replacement? You want to be sure the contractor’s insurance will cover any damage to the property or injuries. Get the insurance policy information and a certificate of insurance as proof. Don’t hesitate to verify the details with their insurance company.
- What’s your experience? The best roofers have years of on-the-job experience. An experienced contractor will have the necessary knowledge and training to handle any issues that could arise during the repair process. An inexperienced contractor could stall the project for days if they are faced with an unfamiliar challenge.
- Will you provide references? Ask for the names and addresses of the company’s three most recent roofing jobs. Follow-up with the homeowners and ask whether they were happy with both the work and the contractor.
- What’s the warranty? A reputable contractor will stand by their work by offering a labor warranty. The warranty should cover any issues that arise from faulty workmanship within at least the first year. The manufacturer typically covers the materials, and the roofer will cover the work. It’s best to avoid any contractors that don’t automatically offer a comprehensive warranty.
- How long will the job take? Roofing contractors can’t predict the future, but they can at least give you a timeline for your project’s completion. Ask about their policy for any weather-related delays and whether they will take on any other jobs before your project is completed. Ideally, the contractor will devote their team solely to your roof to ensure the work is completed as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Need a high-quality roofing company in New Bern, NC? Call the experts at Dallas Cherry Roofing today to book your appointment!
This post was written by Writer