One of the most important components of any roof is the ventilation system. Without it, heat and moisture buildup could begin to run rampant. If this happens, not only will your roof be in trouble, but your entire home could become susceptible to damage and costly repairs down the line as well. Read on to learn about five common roof repair issues that can be caused by improper roof ventilation in New Bern, NC:
- Roof deterioration: Without proper ventilation, the lifespan of your roof could be shortened significantly. The roof decking can begin to sag and rot, shingles can begin to deteriorate prematurely and the underlayment may become warped, all of which will prevent you from getting as much life out of your investment as possible.
- Ice dam formation: When your attic doesn’t have sufficient insulation and a good ventilation system is not in place, the warm air that rises can escape through your roof. This warm air will melt any snow or ice on top of your roof, and as this melted snow travels down your roof, it will refreeze when it reaches the eaves, where the temperature will likely still be below freezing. Eventually this will lead to the formation of ice dams, which can be particularly dangerous and threatening to the condition of the roof.
- Rust: Excess moisture can quickly lead to the development of rust, which can wreak havoc on all of the metal components in your roof. This rust can cause the nails and any other metal pieces that were used during the construction of your roof to corrode and break, which can compromise the stability of the shingles and eventually cause them to fall off altogether.
- Overworked HVAC system: During the warmer months, the humidity that builds up in your attic without proper roof ventilation can also put a strain on your air conditioner, and subsequently your energy usage. In order to continue to maintain the desired temperatures, your system will have to work that much harder to combat this additional humidity in your home. This can lead to increased repairs and might even prompt a need for replacement if the problem goes on for too long.
- Growth of mold: The combination of excess heat and moisture creates a breeding ground for mold and mildew on your roof. A moldy roof is cause enough for concern on its own, but if the mold begins to spread to other areas of your home, your family’s health could also be at risk.
To make sure your roof has the ventilation it needs to remain safe and effective, give us a call at Dallas Cherry Roofing. For more than 20 years, we have worked with homeowners to find efficient ventilation solutions for roofs of all kinds, and it is our goal to make sure you’re able to avoid the costly and untimely damage that can result without it. Whether you currently have ventilation that is no longer effective or need some common roof repairs in new Bern, NC, give us a call to schedule an appointment. We look forward to assisting you soon.
This post was written by Writer