Shingle roofs have a lifespan of about 20 to 30 years, if installed properly. Homeowners may see these numbers and think that they don’t need to worry about roof replacement, but this isn’t true. Over the years, general wear and tear due to weather and age can cause shingles to bend, crack or fall off, and larger structural damage might cause leaks.
Homeowners should pay attention to their roofs and inspect their shingles regularly to watch for any signs that may indicate it’s time for roof repair or roof replacement in New Bern, NC. Here are some major roof problems to look out for that might signal it’s time for a new roof:
- Old roof: If your roof is more than 20 years old, you might want to start looking into roof replacement. While many roofs can last for 20 to 30 years, severe weather can cause damage that shortens your shingles’ lifespan. Roofs should be replaced when they are between 20 and 25 years old.
- Curling, buckling or cracked shingles: Shingles endure a lot of stress from weather and the sun. Check your roof in the areas that receive the most sun and look for shingles that are curling up at the edges or buckling in the middle. Also check for shingles that are cracked from wind damage. If the problems are sparse, you may be able to get away with basic roof repair by replacing some shingles. If the problem is widespread, consider full roof replacement.
- Missing shingles: If you are missing shingles or even whole sections of shingles, you will want to replace those immediately. However, finding shingles to match the color of your roof will likely be difficult due to color fading over the years. Again, if the problem is widespread, consider roof replacement.
- Granules in the gutters: Check your gutters to see if they are filled with shingle granules. Early on, some extra granules may fall off, which is normal. However, shingles lose more granules when they are nearing the end of their lifespan, which may indicate a need for replacement.
- Sunlight through the roof boards: If you go into your attic and look at the ceiling, you shouldn’t be able to see any sunlight or patches of sky through your roof boards. If you do, there are cracks between the boards, which means you should get a roof replacement as soon as possible to prevent leaks and moisture buildup.
- Internal signs: If your energy bills are spiking higher than usual, you experience moisture or mold in your attic or you find that your roof is leaking after snow or rain, you should call a professional as soon as possible for roof replacement.
- Sagging roof: Look at your roof from the outside. If it appears to be sagging in any areas, call a professional as soon as you can. Sagging roofs often mean there is larger structural damage and might require more roof repair work.
Looking for a contractor to provide roof replacement or roof repair in New Bern, NC? Call Dallas Cherry Remodeling & Construction! For 20 years, we’ve offered homeowners excellent roofing services and installation, and we look forward to assisting you soon.
Categorised in: Roof Replacement
This post was written by Writer