The roof is one of the most important aspects of your home. It protects your house from the natural elements like rain, snow and sun, as well as animal and human interference. It’s important that your roof is in good condition. Even minor leaks can be catastrophic and cause thousands of dollars in damages.
When installing or updating your roof, you may wonder which type of shingles will work best for your home. One of the most common types of shingles in the roofing industry is the asphalt shingle. A roofer in New Bern, NC will likely recommend asphalt shingles to you as an easy-to-install and cost-effective roofing option.
Asphalt shingles have positive benefits as well as drawbacks, so it’s important you know both before deciding to install. Ask a roofer in New Bern, NC for their opinion on whether asphalt shingles are right for your home.
Pros of asphalt shingles
- Widely accepted: Roofers know asphalt shingles well and have likely used them on homes for years. Builders trust these shingles, and so do homeowners, making them an easy choice.
- Low cost: Asphalt shingles are one of the cheapest, most reliable shingle types, making them a good choice for any budget. Typically, asphalt shingles cost around $100 to $200 per square, which is a 10 ft by 10 ft square area.
- Easy to install: These shingles are very easy to install; often, builders can finish an asphalt shingle roof in a single day. DIY-ers will also likely find this shingle type easy to apply. Additionally, they can be installed on top of existing roof shingles, making re-roofing even easier.
- Easy to maintain: Asphalt shingles can be repaired easily and often have warranties of between 20 and 30 years in case they do get damaged.
- Variety of styles: There are many styles and colors of asphalt shingles, making them versatile for many types of houses. Some special types can also be made to mimic wood or slate.
Cons of asphalt shingles
- Damaged by severe weather: While usually durable, asphalt shingles can’t always hold up to severe weather like hail. Some types aren’t suited for extreme heat, and others break in extreme cold temperatures. It’s important that you choose the right type of asphalt shingle for your climate.
- Heavy: These shingles are very heavy due to the thick layer of asphalt they are coated in, which makes them difficult to work with in some situations.
- Recycling issues: Asphalt shingles aren’t easily recycled. This means that there is typically quite a bit of waste from installation and roof reconstruction.
- Limit on style: Although there are different styles available for asphalt shingles, they also can be limited. Cheaper options tend to look dull on homes and may not be as aesthetically pleasing.
Despite the drawbacks of asphalt shingles, they are still a widely used and reliable product that many builders recommend for their clients. Asphalt shingles are durable, low-cost and can be created in a variety of colors and styles to match your home. If you’re interested in asphalt shingles, speak to a roofer in New Bern, NC to see if they will be right for your home and climate.
Are you looking for a roofer in New Bern, NC? Call Dallas Cherry Remodeling & Construction! We’ve offered homeowners a wide variety of excellent roofing services for 20 years, and look forward to assisting you soon.
Categorised in: Roofer
This post was written by Writer