Some roof leak situations are simple enough for homeowners to fix themselves, while others call for professional roof repair in New Bern, NC. Roofs don’t leak for no reason—a leak could be the result of wear and tear to shingles, chimney damage or storm damage. It’s important to act quickly to find the origin of the leak before the problem turns into a more costly repair. Below is an overview of the most common reasons for roof leaks:
- The roof is old: As long as your roof was installed properly, the average asphalt shingle roof can last anywhere between 15 and 20 years, or longer with regular care and maintenance. Roofs around this age or older are more likely to experience more water leaks than newer roofs. In the case of an old roof that is leaking, perhaps the best option here is to replace the original roofing materials.
- There are problems with shingles and fasteners: It’s not unheard of for roof fasteners and shingles to dislodge during a strong storm or heavy winds. Dislodged shingles and fasteners can damage easily, leaving an opening for water to seep through into the underside of your roof. This can result in roof leaks and water damage to the interior of your home.
- The flashing is damaged: One of the most common reasons that your shingle roof may be leaking is directly related to damaged flashing. Flashing is the thin metal strips, sheets or fittings that cover seams on your roof. When flashing is damaged, eroded or corroded, leaks can happen. Or, maybe the original roof installer failed to install flashing in some areas of the roof—this is bad news!
- There are issues related to the chimney or skylights: Chimney stacks are known to collect water, which trickles down and in through tiny openings. Another cause of roof leaks is an improperly installed skylight. Skylights are supposed to add beauty to your home and let in natural sunlight, not rainwater.
- There’s been a plumbing failure: Sometimes, running home plumbing pipes through the attic area or roof is a home builder’s only option. Unfortunately, even after sealing the holes that were made to accommodate the plumbing, rainwater can still get in through small spaces in the roof.
- Poor workmanship: Bad work done by roof installers is a top reason why homeowners experience roof leaks, which leads back to the original installation and the quality of the roofing materials used. The combination of poor workmanship and improper roof installation plays a huge role in the roof’s efficiency and stability, how often repair needs arise and how many years the roof will last before it needs to be replaced.
Dallas Cherry Roofing specializes exclusively in shingle roofing services, and we’re an Owens Corning Preferred Contractor. We offer the best quality roofing materials and services around, and we’ll be there when you need us. Call our team today to book a time for shingle roof repair in New Bern, NC—we look forward to working with you soon!
Categorised in: Roof Damage
This post was written by Writer