Much like your car, your roof is an item you want to keep in good working order for a long time. And just as with a car, it makes sense to perform regular inspections of your roof to identify any problem areas and to arrange for any needed repairs as soon as possible.
While there are a number of roofing repair and installation tasks that are best left to a professional roofing contractor in New Bern, NC, it’s possible to inspect your own roof if you feel comfortable doing so.
Here are some tips for how to inspect your roof and what you should be looking for.
How often should you perform a roof inspection?
Experts recommend annual roof inspections and regular maintenance to help ensure a long life for your roof.
Can you perform a roof inspection yourself?
If you are comfortable being on your roof and familiar with the steps you should take to reduce the risk of falls, performing a roof inspection yourself may be a good choice for you.
First you’ll want to purchase equipment designed to protect you from falls. Look for a fall protection kit with a safety harness, rope and lanyard and roof anchor, which will all allow you to move about safely on the roof.
What should you check during your roof inspection?
Remember to assess the condition of the following components of your roofing system during your inspection:
- Roofing materials: Do any of the shingles feel like they have too much give, or like they are not as firm as they should be? If so, these soft areas may be an indication that wood has begun to rot underneath the shingles.
- Fascia: If you notice wood that appears to be rotting on the fascia, this could be problematic for your gutters. Fascia in poor condition will reduce the effectiveness of your gutters.
- Shingles: Examine the shingles on your roof to be sure that they all appear to be in good condition, as well as the flashing located near vents, chimneys and roof pipes. If you notice any missing shingles or open spaces where water could trickle in, note these areas and arrange for prompt repair.
- Draining systems: Your gutters and downspouts should be attached securely. They should maintain their correct right angle and not be clogged with leaves or other debris.
- Soffit: Pay close attention to the soffit to be sure that there are no holes, cracks or other damaged areas caused by animals or as a result of water that did not divert away from your house as it should have.
- Interior locations: Inside your home, go to the highest floor to examine the ceiling for any water spots or leaks. In the attic, check for wet areas and keep an eye out for wood that may be rotting underneath the roof.
If your roof inspection revealed any needed repairs, you’ll want to schedule service with a roofing contractor in New Bern, NC as soon as possible. Dallas Cherry Remodeling & Construction has been in business for 20 years and provides high quality service for all of your residential roofing needs. Our team of experts is highly skilled in performing re-roofing, cleaning, repairs and installation. Your satisfaction is our top priority, so call us today to book your appointment for service!
Categorised in: Roofing Contractor
This post was written by Writer